Thursday, August 4, 2011

Dog Days of Summer are Here!

The National Weather Service issued heat advisories for parts of 15 states Thursday, nearly all in the South, stretching from Southern California to North Carolina. Suffocating heat continues to grip much of the South.

During the Dog Days of Summer exercise your family pets in the cool of early morning or in the evening

Provide plenty of fresh water

Provide shade for your furry friends. This does NOT mean putting them in the garage, either!

If the temperature approaches 100 degrees try and keep them indoors. Dogs don’t have the sweat glands that we have, and their body temperature runs from 100.5 to 102.5. Large dogs and older dogs are at greater risk.

Use a kiddie pool for your dogs to cool off in

Under no circumstances take them on errands

A few weeks ago I zipped to the post office, parked under a tree, had bowls of water in the pickup, and the windows were rolled down. I was gone about 10 minutes and when I got back to the pickup I was panicked that my two Perfect Dobermans, Cleopatra and Caesar where laying the backseat panting like crazy.  

I learned my lesson; until the weather cools off they’ll just have sleep in the guest bedroom!

Another suggestion- put some ice cubes in their water dish. Cleo and Caesar love it!



No comments:

Post a Comment